Sunday, March 29, 2009

Saturday Wind Camping

Nick dressed for the cold in his wintry hat...grilling hot dogs and hamburgers...
Saturday morning I sprung out of bed to hit the shower...yeah, I know...why bother...I have my reasons...and it did feel good--that hot water...We had cereal and fruit for breakfast, and then we settled in for the windy cold morning...there was a flag raising to start us off. Then, fishing at the pier time. No catches...then lunch--we switched lunch to us doing the hamburngers and hot dogs and beans and chips...It was windy and plates kept flying--chips and hot dogs flying...Brittany was getting soooo irritated. She then sat in the car to eat a hot dog and beans. The food was great and a welcome warm--the fire was great to sit by. We then headed to the nature center and took in a hike. It was a short hike, but that was just fine by us. Nick and Bittany stayed and did another longer hike, for those that thought the first one was too short. Austin and I headed with his den to the Sam Houston statue and visitor center. That was pretty cool--it's a BIG statue...you can surely see it along the freeway--we've passed it a few times before and never stopped. We took pictures of the kids and they look so tiny next to it. We headed back, where I took the free time chance to try and nap. Oh, and before the lunch, I had noticed that our tent had a broken pole...Nick worked on taping it, but I want a new tent! He will still keep this one and get new poles (yes, poles--found another one is a little broken too when packing up)...anyways, dinner was the sandwich lunch...then, Nick and I started the dutch oven cakes...chocolate cherry and bluberry butter yellow. They both turned out great! After retiring the colors, we settled in to eating cakes and have a campfire program...Nick had a great skit he did, involving some "sucker" adults (myself included)...there were a couple of other skits and some songs...Brittany even jumped in to sing Herman the Worm that she knows from Girl Scouts. We then had a ceremony where we officially retired 2 flags--a Texas and USA one--both torn and no longer suitable for flying. It was a nice ceremony, and we included ashes passed from many campfires from before. We will give everyone a bag of ashes with the list of campfires. Nick stayed up with the fire until it burned out...for clean ashes from the flag retirement (burning). Brittany and I got to bed...I was sooooo tired...and it got cold, but the wind predicted did not come...oh, but the racoons did...Nick saw like 10 of them while he waited with the fire. We all then heard at least 1 having a fight--at least verbally with a dog across the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google

Blog Archive